Monday, November 12, 2007

How is your turkey feeling today?

We have a turkey hanging from our pantry door. Not a real one or anything. Just a dorky tole-painted one. As far as turkeys and their feelings go, our turkey is not a happy one. In fact, if you ask Sara, he is crying all the time. This is all because he knows he will be eaten on Thanksgiving. My kids ask me about it every day with great concern. It's really quite funny. It's hard to tell but I think they think we are eating that actual turkey- wood, paint, wire and all. I guess I should explain.

It's fun to talk with my kids and see the wheels turning up in their little heads. They know we eat animals but they are still slightly perplexed about it. Taylor was asking Dave the other day, "So, are people animals too? We don't eat people though." From his tone you can hear that he is actually trying to convince himself of this. It's funny. He's also trying to figure out what he is eating when he eats the yolk of the egg. I explain. He doesn't get it. He still thinks it's a chick. What a nut.

Sara has been quite concerned about pigs lately- I think it has something to do with the fact that she just watched Charlotte's Web. She asks (bacon in hand), "Do we eat pigs?" I tell her that we do (she really already knows the answer). She gasps. "Mommy, I like pigs. Can we have one for a pet?" Love these moments. I don't give dogs, cats, or even goldfish a second glance, so why would I even consider a pig? Of course I can't say that to her- I wouldn't want to break her little pet yearning heart. Instead I say "Honey, we can't have a pig because we don't live on a farm." I guess that makes all the sense in the world because we don't revisit the conversation again until the next day at breakfast.

Anyway, here's our turkey, who is crying because he will be eaten for Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

Sue said...

This has been interesting in my house lately as some of us have watched an animal roaming in the wild become dinner. At least his head isn't mounted on the wall watching us eat him.
I've shared too much, haven't I?

Katie said...

haha - i have to laugh at the comment about eating the toll painted turkey. Isn't it great the conversations kids come up with? Food and animals is a serious one around our house too.