6 Facts or Habits about myself:
1. Habit the first- I pick at my split ends. It is probably the most annoying and awful thing that I do. It's even worse when I pick at other people's split ends. Seriously, I need psychiatric help. This is my most awful hide-me-in-a-corner-hanging-my-head-in-shame habit.
2. My whole life I have had straight hair. Super straight hair. I am not exactly a fashionista in the hair dept and it took me quite a few years to understand my hair and get it under control. And then finally, once things are under control, I get thrown a curve ball. Child birth and all those raging hormones not only delivered me a baby boy but also a new head of hair. I now am the proud owner of a super thick, super curly head of hair. It took me a good year or more to really figure out what was going on. We lived in Mississippi at the time so I just attributed the new hair on my head to humidity. Upon moving to Wyoming I couldn't help but notice that the situation wasn't changing AT ALL, getting worse, in fact. I would tell my mom and my sister (both owners of the naturally curly hair) about this strange new phenomenon but they didn't really buy into the magnitude of the situation. I started coming around a bit more often with us living closer and they started to catch on. So really, here we are, 5 years later, and my hair is a raging beast. People are amazed at how curly it really is. When I get my hair cut, my hair lady has a hey-day with the scissors thinning my hair out. It's a whole new world for me. I can't tell you the number of times people have told me how much they like my perm. A perm? Come on people, I haven't had one of those since I was 15. Do people get perms anymore? And grandma's don't count.3. When I was a little bitty kid, I entered the Easter coloring contest at Albertsons and won first prize. It was a very proud moment for me and my big bad self. My mom even framed the picture for me.
4. I am uncoordinated. Not clutzy, just uncoordinated. Give me some credit here. Shortly after Taylor was born, while Dave and I lived in Mississippi, we took a step aerobics class at the AirForce Base. A few other people from his dental residency were taking the class as well. More people to shame myself in front of, right? Fast forward to the class, Dave is bouncing off his step like an aerobics professional. Here I am, can't figure out how to twist & pivot the right direction at the right time. Dave is trying to help me and participate in the class at the same time so of course we are drawing attention to ourselves. All eyes on the idiot at the back of the class who just can't get it together. And that brings me to another point, I hate that you can't ever really just hide in the back of the room during an aerobics class. Just when you think you're safe the instructor shouts "turn" or "right" or "left" and suddenly what was once the back, is now the front. It puts a girl to shame I tell you. Back to my story, so finally the instructor's helper makes his way over to help the disabled person in the back of the room. He tried to help me- my brain and my body just don't connect on that level. I know I eventually figured it out but it certainly wasn't during the first class. Nor the second. I mean really, as soon as I figured out one step, the instructor had the nerve to add a new step or change the direction. In the long run I had a good time. However, I did learn it's better for someone like me to stick with the treadmill and save myself the humiliation.
5. Back in my younger days I bought something 90 days same as cash. I didn't understand that "same as cash" didn't mean "send us cash". So me, like an idiot, packed $250.00 cash (or whatever amount it was- I can't remember exactly) into an envelope and shipped it off. Duh. I told my mom what I did and she kind of freaked out. So I called the guy and let him know to look for it in the mail. Luckily everything worked out fine but what a "duh" moment for me. Sometimes learning by doing is okay but in this case I wish the learning part would have happened before the doing part. Looking like an idiot is not something I particularly enjoy.
6. I love jalapenos. I like them in everything with the exception of maybe strawberry icecream. Okay, I'm being a bit extreme but I do love them. I love them in dips, appetizers, dinner, lunch, breakfast- you name it. So if you have a good recipe with jalapenos, send it my way.
I guess it's my turn to tag some people, which I hate doing. However, I'm going to do it anyway. So, I tag Natalie Monson, Katie, Sue, and Jenn. Ha! You all love me!
5 comments:
Yikes. Tagged?! Okay, I'll have to think about this for a little bit...
You're funny - step is not my thing either, but apparantly neither is the treadmill. I can run like a crazy person on one of those things for as long as I feel inclined to do so, but getting off? I injured myself so badly last year getting off of a treadmill that I couldn't run for 10 weeks. It was really bad.
I love you too - even if you are making me think about myself more than I want too...
Is that me?? Or do you have another Jenn in mind...
ha. yes Jenn, that's YOU.
Hey thanks for humoring me! I enjoy reading all your funny tings you have to say. I too have a curly hair hormone story. Not as much of a difference as you, but you know my hair is curly. Well ever since I was pregnant with Sydney, I have to work hard at it being really curly. My hair is starting to seem like it may be going back to normal, but especially while I was pregnant, it was definitely less curly.
Funny all these crazy things women go through with hormones...
Just want to give a second witness of Natalie winning the art contest, just in case you were questioning her honesty about winning such a stellar prize. Natalie, now you need to know my shameful fact - I was always jealous of your prize-winning Albertson's (or whatever) artwork. OK, let's face it - I was always jealous of everything you did in elementary school - that's what BFF's (cool lingo, huh?) are for. Seriouly, Carter entered a bank coloring contest thim summer and it brougt back memories of your perfectly outlined and shaded bunny, framed with a 5(?) dollar bill. Good times.
Post a Comment