Friday, October 24, 2008

Slingshots & other painful procedures



Wednesday- Taylor was scheduled to have his warts checked out. I didn't tell him about the appointment AT ALL because T is a bit of an emotional kid. I didn't want to ruin his whole week fretting over a visit to the doctor.

That afternoon Dave was home at lunch for a few minutes- I had him break the news to Taylor. Of course the little guy had a bit of a breakdown at the news, screaming "Nononono, I'm not going!" And so Dave, to ease the trauma, promised Taylor that together they would go pick out a Lego set if he went to the doctor. Funny the promises parents make to get their kids to do things. Taylor seems to be making bank lately what with his visit to the dentist and now the pediatrician. Crimany!

So he cried for a minute and was sad but calmed down on the way to the doctor's office. Once we got in the office, the anticipation got to him again and he started crying- until he noticed the video games. He was fine again...until we got called back to the room [Insert crying child here]. After a minute he calmed down. (notice a pattern here?) As soon as it was GO time, he freaked and wedged himself in the corner. The doctor had to pry his hands from off the chair while I had hold of his body and was pulling him out. It was a great time- right up there with shoving bamboo sticks under my fingernails. Despite being covered in tears, boogers, & slobber, we got the job done. I really am proud of Taylor. The doctor was saying that he usually only can freeze 2-3 warts at a time with kids Taylor's age. Taylor had SIX warts frozen. Six. The kid is a champion.

To add insult to injury, I did keep one little secret from Taylor- he was also getting a flu shot! Yikes. The doctor walked out of the room after the warts were frozen. Through his sniffles his said, "Okay mom, let's go." And of course I was like "Uh Tay, we have one more thing to get done..." So he looked at me, crocodile tears welling up in his eyes (and a look of absolute terror and panic) and said, "Whaaat mom, whaat else are they going to do to me? Tell meeeeeeeeee." It was awful! I about started bawling myself- talk about breaking a mom's heart. Stinkin' doctor's office... Needless to say, the flu shot was another fiasco. The good news is- he was carrying on so much he didn't even feel it. And I tell you what, I walked out of there sweating like a pig. Sheesh- being a mom is high maintenance sometimes.

While we were at the doctor's office I picked up a prescription for Sara. A little girl that went to the same dance studio as Sara died over the weekend from bacterial meningitis. Fine one day, dead the next. Kind of scary. They recommended that the other dancer's talk to their pediatricians and get on an antibiotic as a type of prophylaxis.

Fast forward to today. Sara had her 4-year well check at 9:00 and Spencer had his 4 month well-check at 9:30. I forewarned the girls that they were going to get flu shots. They don't tend to freak out like Taylor so I thought it might be nice to give them some advance notice.

While getting them in the car, Sara turned to me and said very seriously, "Mom, am I going to get a slingshot today?" I can't even type that without laughing. She just gets everything so jumbled up. So yep, she got a slingshot today. In fact, she got five. I had no plans to get her immunizations done but they said she could get her kindergarten ones done. I figured it's better to get the drama over with sooner than later. She still has 2 years (2 years!) until kindergarten. Heaven help me. Anyhoo, Liv got her flu slingshot and Spencer got two immunization slingshots! Whew. Busy day/week at the doctor.

So the grand tally (in only 3 days), for those of you who haven't been keeping count (tsk tsk):

1 antibiotic prescription
6 frozen warts
9 slingshots
and a partridge in a pear tree.

Boo Hoo.

We've really been keeping Barbie and Scooby Doo on their toes!

1 comment:

Karin Austin said...

Just thought I'd let you know that your blog is my favorite. You should write a book. You always make me laugh. I love watching your kids grow, via internet. I can't wait to see Halloween!
Luv, Karin