Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Punkin' Pickin'



Friday night we stopped by Walmart. I was rather excited to see that they had their pumpkins marked down to $2/pumpkin. There was no way we were skippin' this deal. I hadn't bought pumpkins yet which is totally weird for me because I usually have a bunch on our front porch by the end of September. Something about $8/pumpkin at Sam's Club turned me off to front porch pumpkin decorating this year.

Anyway, I was hoping that somehow picking out pumpkins from a bin outside Walmart would put a big black X through the kid's memories of wandering through pumpkin patches picking their favorite pumpkins from off the dirt. Uh no. Sara was not letting me off the hook. The whole time we were choosing pumpkins at Walmart (all 2 minutes), Sara was asking, "Are we going to the punkin patch next? Mommy, I really really wanna go to the punkin patch." No Sara. No punkin patch for you... or so I thought.

Saturday Dave had AirForce. I thought about going out with the kids and then realized that one mama at a pumpkin patch with 4 kids and a big fat wagon equaled a big fat mess. And so I hoped the kids would forget. Not my Sara. "MOOOOOM, when are we going to the punkin patch? I wanna pick out a punkin." When Dave got home, off to the pumpkin patch we went. It was short and sweet and now the kids are happy.



That night, realizing we had 7 pumpkins and hardly a soul to carve them, we invited some peeps over. Russ, Nat, & Stina came over for some pumpkin festivities. Turns out, Dave was the only one who carved one. The kids created their "potato head" pumpkins with a little help from Stina. Taylor and Livvy had an especially good time ramming the screw driver into the pumpkins. Sara and Kristina were making silly faces for the camera. Crazy Coots!



We spent the rest of the night watching Beetlejuice. Getting ready for Halloween this year, I was worried about the kids watching shows that would be too scary. Apparently they are braver than I thought- they have set me straight on what they can handle.

Earlier in the month I bought a couple Halloween cds- the ones with music and scary stories. While listening to them, Taylor was in tears. No, not from the scary stories, but from the lack of scary stories. His five-year-old little self was bored silly with the stupid stories on the cd and he was mad that I told him they were going to be scary.

The other night Sara was telling me that our house was not scary enough. "We need to put up some REAL spider webs" she told me. I just told her we have pest control for a reason- not that she knows what that is, but it beats spider bites on your face in the night. Yuck. Mommy knows best.

So yes, we watched Beetlejuice, and they loved it. Livvy requests watching it everyday. She loves the "shake shake" song. We listen to it in the car and it makes her happy.

Fun night. Fun conversation. Fun family! I love my family. They are the best.

2 comments:

Brooke G said...

Good job going to the REAL pumpkin patch...how dare you try to buy them at the grocery store!! Actually, don't you wish now that you hadn't started all those great "traditions" that the kids hold us to now...now that we have MORE kids, and LESS time, and really need to cut back on something!!!!

JennM said...

That's actually really funny about your kids. Mine are like that. They always want me to tell them a made up scary story...On top of that, Julia told me the other day that OUR house was NOT scary enough...and it needed some "real" skulls. The two ought to get together.