Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Tonight we're gonna party like it's 1983...

We rang in the New Year by hosting an Ugly Sweater Party.

We had food spread from one end of the kitchen to the other. So. Much. Food. Whoa. It was a fun time and here are some pictures to prove it!

Dave picked out our sweaters at the D.I. which I completely appreciated.

When I got home and lifted my sweater out the bag I asked Dave,

"Is this my sweater?"

And yes, of course it was my sweater- ten sizes too small.

Why do men always pick out clothes too small? Sure it's flattering and all but not when you actually have to wear the item of clothing. I think he must have forgotten that I am 6 months post baby and hanging on to some extra flubbage. Or maybe he just thinks I'm a ten year old.

He response to me, "That's part of what will make it so funny. Besides, the tag says Large."

And sure enough- the tag did say large. Large if I'm 10!!!

But whatever, I have no shame so I wore my sweater. With pride. And fatness. And loved it. It was itchy though.

Sara was rather confused when I put on my "ugly" sweater.

She gasped and said, "Mommy, it's not ugly. It's so pretty." I should have known- pink and purple and silver glittery stuff- just up her alley.

How do you like Dave's fluorescent stripes?? Awesome!!!



Sam & Alan ran out of time to get to the D.I. before it closed so they called my 86-year-old grandma and told her they were going to a fancy sweater party. She opened up her closet to them and here is what they found. How Sam can still date Alan after seeing him like this is beyond me.



Yikes. I'll have you know Russ removed his shirt just for pictures. Thanks Russ. Really. Thanks. I mean, you look great and all. But thanks. Russ got his sweater (I prefer to call it a doily) from Smith and Edwards Country Boy Store. Need I say more? And Nat- well, that sweater was gross. Just plain gross. I felt itchy just looking at it. Don't these two make a lovely couple?



My parents raided their own closet to find these treasures. My dad just kept adding layers to his ensemble and well, the jury is still out on whether my mom really thinks that sweater is ugly or not.



I think Kristina raided my parent's closet as well. Is it offensive to look in another person's closet for an ugly sweater? Bailey (Aunt Nat's sister) said she pulled this green and white wonder out of her own closet. I'm not sure if it's supposed to be ugly or not. I am behind the times.



Micah and Lora opted for less ugly and more comfortable. Recognize Micah's sweater anyone? anyone?



The Group- Dave's brother Scott took this picture. He came to the party dressed more for a luau than a sweater party so he took the picture. And no, he wasn't wearing a grass skirt.



Truth be told, as soon as these pictures were taken, nearly all of us ripped our sweaters off and breathed a sigh of relief. It was kind of funny.

At midnight we headed to the backyard to spray Martinelli's off the deck. This is the second year in a row we have done it so I guess it's a tradition! I don't even remember why we thought to do it last year.

Spencer was happy as a little clam in his high chair. He was giggling and kicking at nothing in particular. I love this baby!



Kristina giving Spenny a New Year's smooch.



Me and my sistah!



Sara, Annie, Stina



We were trying to see how many people we could fit in a picture taken by someone in the picture holding the camera out with their arm. If you made sense of that, I applaud you.



This picture is disturbing, yet appropriate for these three, on so many levels.



Happy New Year everyone! I can't wait to see what 2009 has to offer!

5 comments:

Betsy said...

What a fun idea for a party! I love it. I will probably copy it, too. Just FYI.

Angie Monson said...

How hilarious is this! So funny and your family does the sweater thing perfectly.

Shannon said...

You should have traded shirts with Dave and had him try it out:) Maybe that was a large size oh back in the 80's!!!

Jessica said...

Love the sweater idea! That is awesome and you got some real winners!

Sue said...

I just laughed out loud at those. I really loved Dave's sweater and that scary see through thing. Fun!