Thursday, August 21, 2008

Soup's on!

Tonight at 6:00 I realized I didn't have dinner ready. Not only did I not have it ready, I had absolutely no idea what I was going to make. This was a problem because I needed to be out the door to book club by 7:00 and Dave had his own set of meetings and appointments.

I opened the freezer and wala! - leftover frozen spaghetti sauce! Sweet. I put some water on to boil for the noodles and popped the tupperware container of sauce into the microwave. 3 minutes later I pulled it out for a quick stir. On my way back to the microwave, with all the grace and poise I possess (ah-hem), I dropped the container on the kitchen floor and sent spaghetti sauce splattering across my kitchen in every direction. Livvy was in the kitchen with me. She let out a loud gasp and looked at me like, "what the...?" Right kiddo. Trust me. I am thinking the exact same thing.



In the meantime, Taylor is saying (and has been saying for the last 10 minutes or so) "Moooooom, I'm hungry. I want a sandwich. With ham. And Miracle Whip. On toasted bread. Moooooom, is it ready yet?" First of all, since when do I take orders? And secondly, the kid is a broken record. The only thing breaking this up for me is the influx in his voice when he changes from whining, to demanding, to acting like he is being tortured. And all the while, Spencer is crying.



I really had no reaction to the spaghetti sauce splattering everywhere. It's just one more thing for me to do, in a crunch, no less. First things first, I grabbed my camera. After that part was taken care of, I started cleaning up. Sauce was everywhere. It even managed to find its way into the closed lazy susan. I'm sure I will be finding little reminders of it for months to come. Anyhoo, back to the clean up- I was wiping it up off the floor with a papertowel, my back to Livvy. And when I turned around- there sat Livvy, fork in hand, eating the sauce off the floor. Apparently I've got my very own cleaning crew.

Please take notice of the only slightly less greasy head of hair- finding de-greaser is not as easy as one might think...



After we were all done cleaning up, I looked into the tupperware container and realized that some sauce had been spared. Just the right amount for Dave. Once he got home, I explained the whole mishap to him and proceeded to the fridge to pull out the container of parmesan cheese. I handed it to him. Two seconds later, poof, a cloud of parmesan cheese was showering down on my floor and counters. I'm still not sure how it happened. I looked over at Dave and we just laughed. I mean, what else do you do at that point?

I'll tell you what you do- you laugh and then you go to book club. And then when you come home and see the layer of cheese still covering your counters and floor, you pick up your child's book order that needs to be turned in the next day, dust off the cheese, and walk out of the room, turning off the lights as you go.

Cheese dust- that will be tomorrow's project.

3 comments:

Sue said...

I'm so glad you could laugh at that.
I'm sure the baby crying would have triggered tears in me.

Looks like you're handling four beautifully. Still blogging and going to book group with four under six? Amazing.

Betsy said...

Nat, you're the best. Good girl to grab the camera. Days like this are worth remembering -- especially because you handled it with such grace. :) Loved the post. Especially since I've been there. Here's to calmer dinners in the future. . .

Raylene said...

Thank you for the laughs. I haven't even checked my email all week, but enjoyed reading your lastest posts. I'm right there with you on all of it. I just don't know why kids do stuff sometimes. Thanks again!