First things first- the actual reason we went to Moab- the Moab Half Marathon. I know, you are overwhelmed that I actually attended a half marathon being as pregnant as I am. Please note, I merely attended it (aka: stood near the finish line)- I didn't run it. Heaven forbid- I can barely put laundry in the washer without getting winded. We cheered on Dave's sister Amy and his brother Jeff. I had every intention of getting a picture of them crossing the finish line. I really did. However, two boss hogs were standing in front of me, not giving up their spots for anything. Oh, and I guess me and my brother Russ were in an intense discussion about renal this and that. You know, things people talk about every day... So what I am saying is- I didn't get a picture of them running to the finish line but look at this beauty I captured afterward:
I'm sure they will both disparage my name forever for putting this priceless photo on the blog but hey, they need some recognition, right?
We also cheered on Aunt Nat (wife to Russ) as she finished the race. We got a little smarter and moved down a ways which actually made it possible for us to get pictures. Dave got so many pictures of her running that if you look at them all consecutively, it's like watching a movie. Brilliant. Look at her face. Look at the enthusiasm she is showing. Are you kidding me? Who looks this happy after running 13 miles? I've actually never tried to run that far so I wouldn't know. Either way, my kids were excited to see a familiar face and to be greeted so happily. Go Nat!
And no, we don't know this person. Dave thought this was too funny to pass up. A beer can hanging from a stick. I cannot believe this woman ran 13 miles with this hanging from her head. Apparently she wasn't worried about her running time or her sanity for that matter.
Moab was just a bit freezing, not so bad during the day (perfect hiking temperature) but cold at night. We stayed in a cute little cabin with a heater in it so all was well with us. I can't even imagine if we had planned on staying in a tent- that would have lasted for a total of 5 minutes and then off to find a cozy Motel 8, if that were to really exist. If you look closely, Taylor is peeking his head up above the railing over close to the FJ.
The kids loved the cabin, especially the bunk beds. What is it with kids and bunk beds?
Friday we hiked Delicate Arch. This is a picture of Taylor enjoying his brand new camel back. Look closely. Do you see gratitude on this face? No. Just whining that it's too heavy. Really? It weighs as much as my pinky finger for crying out loud. Kids these days- I would have happily donated a kidney for one of these things back in the day...
Taylor and Sara ventured to the arch with Dave but me and Livvy stayed right here. I occasionally like to complain that I am in hardly any of the pictures but when I see ones like this- you know, pictures where you look like you were spewed out of the belly of a whale or something, it's times like this that I am glad I am most often behind the camera. Either way, cute little family if I do say so myself.
The hike took a little too much out of Livvy.
He had a great time testing the limits of the FJ. Problem now- it's opened the flood gates- we now need to get a lift and new tires to make for even better (life threatening, if you ask me) FJ adventures in the future. Just poking fun at you, hon!
More hiking- walking toward Double Arch. I just think it's so strange to see the kids in coats at Arches. When I was a kid I swear we always did Arches in mid August, sweating like pigs where ever we went, burning our bums on the metal floor in the back of the old white 1977 station wagon.
Dave and Taylor on top of Sand Dune Arch.
Well, there you have it. We had a great time. Some highlights for the kids were swimming in the hot tub, playing with cousins, making smores, drinking juice boxes and eating chips (easy to please), and riding through Arches in the Patterson's ginormous R.V. Seriously, it was like putting my house on wheels and sending it out on the highway. Thanks for the good times everyone!
8 comments:
It sounds like you guys had a blast. I'm surprised you did the "cabin" again after your experience last time. =) I still laugh my head off thinking about the pillows in the walls. Miss you guys!
Fun! I didn't know you were going to be in Moab last weekend. My parents both ran the half-marathon (well, my mom walked it) but it looks like you had a fun trip! isn't it nice to get away! B
I miss those trips in the worst heat of the summer. There's nothing like having your skin melted to white hot vinyl and having to pull the exposed wires out of your leg. And of course waving and laughing at all the cars behind us from the back cause we were excluded from the rest of the car back there.
Yay - you're blog is back. Looks like a fun trip! Cool pictures - you've got to love the natural backdrops around Arches. You look great hiking around with 3 kids and 1 on the way. :)
Looks like fun! What is it with boys and four wheeling? Why do they need to see how bouncy they can get those 'cruisers? Not my thing.
I love that you actually hiked to Delicate Arch. I've only been into Arches twice, but I've only been to the view point and not made that hike out there. And with 4-ish kids to boot? You're amazing.
Let us know next time you go to Moab. It's only 2 1/2 hours away from us and we'd love to meet you guys there. I know, you were with family, but still...
Looks like you had a great time. Your kids are so cute, and I am very impressed that you hiked while being pregnant. Way to go!
I don't know why, but this post made me cry...maybe because it looked like you had so much fun, or because your family is so dang cute, or I was thinking about the pain I was feeling after the race, or maybe just because I love you guys..who knows. It was a great post and the trip looked fabulous....you guys rock!!
We are going to Moab in mid-April. You have just officially made me excited! Now it's going to take that much longer to come...shoot! I love your little family and how cute they are!
Post a Comment