Monday, March 17, 2008

As luck would have it...

I have to admit, St. Patrick's Day snuck up on me this year. I usually have some sort of an agenda planned out- not so much this year. At breakfast I realized I didn't do anything- hmmm. So I grabbed a thing of milk, turned it green without the kids noticing and wala- holiday magic was in the air.

But darn that Taylor for getting so old that he actually remembers things now. For instance,

"Mom, where did the leprechaun leave his gold treasure?"

You see, last year our leprechaun accidentally dropped some of his gold coins around the house and left footprints. Darn that leprechaun for leaving such a high level of expectation for this year!

After dropping Taylor off at preschool I made my way over to Macey's (this time I didn't get a cart with broken seat belts, I got one with NO seatbelts- I may have to stop shopping there, seriously) and managed to sneak some gold chocolate coins in the cart without Sara noticing.

I dropped the coins around the house before I picked Taylor up from school and when we got home the kids were so excited and had such a fun time looking for all the coins. Whew, leprechaun crisis averted.

Here they are collecting their coins:


Of course this sweet baby had no idea what was going on but she was more than happy to gather up gold coins, especially once she realized they are actually made of chocolate.


Earlier in the day I got this great idea to make Irish Corned Beef and Cabbage. I've never eaten it and I thought it would be so fun and festive to give it a shot. I couldn't find any at Macey's. I thought they would have had a big display piled with corned beef & cabbage on St. Patrick's Day. This should have been my first clue to just walk away from my brilliant idea and I actually sort of did until I talked to my mom who saw corned beef at Harmon's and off I went....

At 2:45 I put the corned beef & an onion in a pot to do its simmering. I added the carrots, potatoes, and cabbage around 6ish. I had the table decked out with green plates, green jelly beans, shamrock cups & napkins, green punch in a green pitcher...the works.



The bread was on the table. Dave walked in the door. I pulled the corned beef out of the pot and Dave started cutting it up. The kids were at the table anxiously awaiting our first ever Irish dinner. I pulled out my favorite ginormous glass salad bowl that we received for our wedding and put the vegetables and liquid in. Just as I was about to lift it to carry it to the table- CRACK- the whole bowl broke into 4 huge pieces. All the liquid began showering off the island, down my cupboards, and onto my hardwood floor. I just stood there in shock. What the heck? I mean, what do you do? I tell you what you do, you just stand there and stare at it and your husband grabs the camera. And then you actually realize it's pulling a niagra falls all over the floor and you dive for as many towels as you can find. All my hard work down the drain, literally.



I don't think I've ever had a dinner just kind of explode on me. You don't plan for those kinds of things. The kids were confused and slightly upset that they weren't going to be able to eat dinner at the table that I had just masterfully decorated. I was irritated for a couple of reasons-

1. my favorite bowl had just suffered a sudden and immediate death

2. you should have seen the mess- there was corned beef juice everywhere- even in the drawers and cupboards- all over everything. My next kitchen will be plastic and cement with drains on the floor so I can just hose the whole thing down.

The good news- the corned beef wasn't involved at all and we were able to try it out. It was actually pretty good so I will have to try this recipe next year- minus the glass bowl, of course.

I guess at this point you may be wondering what we actually ate for dinner. I forgot to mention that I made a jello poke cake (with green jello, of course) to be eaten for dessert. Well sometimes desparate times call for desperate measures and when life hands you lemons... you eat Jello Poke Cake for dinner. And that's just what we did.

Well, Dave did warm up some canned chili- now if that's not holiday fun, I don't know what is.

8 comments:

JennM said...

You guys are going to laugh about this in the future if you're not already! Pictures are awesome. We just had a friend die this morning. This has been a good read, on a very sad day. =)

Katie said...

Fabulous blog post - I might just give the corned beef and cabbage recipe a try next year. Even at the risk of my serving bowl exploding. I admire you for taking pictures in the middle of chaos! I'm glad you got to try the food and the table decorations look great! Did you make your own shamrock design on the cake? Very impressive!

Nikki said...

You make me tired. And I'm never showing my kids your blog on holidays. It might raise their expectations! I'm sorry about your bowl. I think we all have those certain kitchen items that we love.

Daily Jot & Tittle said...

Too funny! I'm sorry that happened to you, but just think what a great story it made. Clark took the kids to Princess on Ice on Saturday too..sounds like I missed out. You look so cute. Hope you are feeling okay!

Russ and Nat said...

Oh Nat, that is very, very sad. But seriously....you are incredible. I hope that by the time I have kids yours are grown so that you can be my holiday coordinator!

Sue said...

You make me laugh every time I come here! So funny. I'll have to try the corned beef and canned chili next year - sounds so festive.

Heather said...

What are you talking about, nothing fancy!? I wish I had the same holiday gusto you have, when I am NOT pregnant! Good job. Your kids are lucky :) (I will be sure to tell them that when they are teenagers).

Brooke G said...

Once again, what a great mom you are! We just accidently skipped ST. Pactrics day this year, but I do love the corned beef. Not many people do. Hayliann has been saying all week, "when are we going to have corned beef and cabbage?" My answer, "For our easter dinner."