Monday, September 17, 2007

One Hundred and Five

On Friday Dave and I went out into the garden and picked 105! tomatoes from just 2 plants. It was at that point that I realized I wasn't going to get away with not canning anything this year. I certainly can't eat that many tomatoes by myself before they go rotten, especially considering those plants still have bazillions of tomatoes on them waiting to ripen and throwing them away would be stupid because what's the point of planting and watering something all summer to just toss it at the end. bad bad bad.



We ended up making a large vat of salsa. It took the whole day and at the end (2:30 in the morning) I never ever ever wanted to see another jar of salsa. Ever. When I say "we", that includes Dave, my right hand man. He is the master of fresh salsa you know. Heaven forbid he not be involved. We canned 24 pints and 2 quarts. Happy day!

4 comments:

Nikki said...

WOW! When you told me about the tomatoes I guess it didn't seem as impressive as the picture! But, hey, anytime you want to get ride of some, send them to me! Nobody in my household, but me, will eat tomatoes and I love homegrown. It seems like a waste to grow them just for me. So, I'd would take anything you don't want!! :)

Anonymous said...

that is awesome! i can't believe you got that many tomatoes off of just 2 plants!! i will bring the chips if dr j will bring the salsa.... wed. would be a good day!

Russ and Nat said...

All I have to say is your house....we'll bring the Hint of Lime Tostitos!

Sue said...

I'm so impressed that you are canning! I can make freezer jam. Yes - freezer jam. That's the extent of my Mormon woman capabilities and those are pretty pathetic.
How exciting to have all of those tomatoes. They're so good fresh out of the garden. And pass along that salsa recipe!