Sunday, April 26, 2009

A closer look



I know you are waiting on the edge of your seat for an update regarding our furry friend invasion...

Well, after the mama cat jumped out of the window well, we never saw her get back in. In fact, she would take off and be gone forever and then come and sit on top of the window well and watch the kitten. Then she would leave again for hours. The weather is a bit wet and cold right now so we were worried about the baby sleeping without the warmth of the mom cat.

Dave opened the window and pulled the baby kitten out and brought her to live under our deck. All the kids were a little too happy that the kitty was reachable. They stayed out there all day. I was trying to get them to stay away from her in hopes that the mom cat would return. I was explaining to Taylor that without milk from the mommy cat, the baby cat could die. In all seriousness he looked at me and said, "Well, why can't you feed the cat?" Riiiiight... We had to have a little chat about cross-species nursing. Not. Gonna. Happen.

The kitten stayed under the deck all afternoon until our neighbors picked her up and moved her to their garage. Yes, it looks as though our neighbors have adopted this furry little bundle of joy and named her Sunny. So there you have it. Sunny is now our neighbor. I feel like I have achieved the best of both worlds here- 1. I no longer feel responsibility for the cat & 2. My kids can have their pet (Livvy calls it "my kitty") via the neighbors. They can visit, love, & cuddle that kitty and then when it grows older and they have lost interest- not my problem.

Since this little kitten is quite small to be separated from its mother, my neighbors have done their research on how to maintain him in a mother-less environment. It all starts with a little kitten formula and a mini bottle (smaller than a dolly bottle). I'm serious. Kitten formula? Yeah... it's at Walmart, just in case you are interested in purchasing some. They also have to stimulate his business with a cotton ball... I think it's hilarious, mostly because it's not my problem. Today at church Zack (the kitty's new daddy) made a point of coming up and thanking me for their new pet. Haha! Sorry Zack, not my fault your wife is a sucker for an orphan kitten.

2 comments:

JennM said...

Oh my gosh, TOO CUTE!!!! I just want to steal him. He's adorable.

Shannon said...

Okay so Brian talked me into a cat...we have had her since January. I wasn't so sure but i LOVE the thing...I must say the cat looks kind of weird kind of rat like (sorry to say) I am sure it looked cute in person and will get cuter!!!