Here is what they chose:

These aprons have my grandma written all over them. The fabric she chose isn't what I would choose but I think that is part of their charm. It is fabric she chooses. They are aprons she has made. They are a reflection of her and what she loves. Years from now when my grandma is no longer here, the girls will be able to put on their aprons and have a piece of their great grandma with them.
This is a picture of Sara, Livvy, Emma, and Eliza with their great grandma on Mother's Day.

It's important to me to help my kids create a connection with all of their grandparents. If grandma gives one of the kids the ugliest shirt I've ever seen well guess what? Who cares!? The kids don't know the difference and they usually LOVE it. It's a gift and an act of love from grandma and so we embrace the shirt, we love the shirt, and my kids know that they are loved by grandma. Of course that situation is only hypothetically speaking...
Friday night we also had the opportunity to visit Grandpa Jerry. It always breaks my heart to visit poor grandpa. I wish the kids had been able to know him when he was all there but since that isn't an option, we go and visit and always take a laugh or two home with us. Seriously. The things that go down at the Alzheimer place are hysterical.
Tonight, for instance, grandpa was followed around by a woman we lovingly refer to as his girlfriend. She follows him, talks to him, taps on him and he just ignores her. Because you know, grandpa can't exactly talk. Not to mention that he isn't interested in anyone who gets in the way of his pacing. Mike used his stealth photography skills to snap this picture of gpa and his lady friend. I'm not exactly sure why we were trying to be stealth... It just seemed appropriate at the time.
Another lady was enamoured with Livvy. At one point during the evening, Livvy ran into the dining room- she was out of my view for a good 30 seconds so I got up to go check on her. And yes, Livvy had instantly made a new 80-year-old friend who was lifting her onto the table. Hello. Hazard. I could snap this little lady in half and here she is lifting my kid. Crazy. Livvy spent the evening running through the halls with this lady chasing after her, laughing and shrieking for joy (not Liv, the little old lady). Balloons were put up all over the place and naturally the kids wanted them. This same lady pulled off her shoe and was using it as a knife to cut the balloons loose. Right lady. No ballon for you! But thanks for the good laugh.
Here is Sara eating by grandpa. Look how cute and festive everything is! The kids had a great time. They each took home a balloon and a mouthful of candy, compliments of Mike and Amy- they somehow managed to win every drawing and contest they had that night. They won two candy jars and a gift basket. Three items and there was only two of them. Last time we were there they won a gift basket too. If we keep this up, they might stop inviting us bosshogs.
Here is our little fam with grandpa. Check out Livvy's face- always a crack up.

Jerry was doing pretty good. He was actually more calm then he usually is. He usually just paces but he actually sat down and ate with us. No matter how hard we tried, he wouldn't look at the camera.
Saturday night me and the kids spent some time at my parent's house while all the boys went to the Real Soccer game. After they came back we hung out and played some Settlers. Once again, good times with the fam.
And last but not least, Sunday night we had Dave's grandpa Vern over for dinner. It was so nice to have him at our house. He's such a great guy. We chatted about his life and he shared stories of his childhood, how he met his wife, how she was converted to the Gospel, and how he started up his own business as a butcher. It was good times. We love grandpa Vern and feel so blessed to have him in our lives. 100 and going strong, can you imagine?! We love our gramps!
It was so fun being surrounded by people we love all weekend long!
4 comments:
Ok I had to call Scott, because I knew NOTHING about Jerry's Thanksgiving party! I guess he figured since he had a scout thing that night and couldn't go, it wasn't worth mentioning. Stinker. I'm sad we missed it! I haven't met Jerry's "lady friend", yet.
Ok, I just have say that when i read "My Grandma has always been a sewer." I started thinking "I know her basement is full of junk and all, but she's not THAT bad." Then I kept reading and it was cleared up pretty quickly. Funny stuff...
Hey Nat. what a fun thing to do.. Love to check up and see your darling family. Hey ask all your family to add me to their blog lists so I can keep in touch. Thanks
www.gattengang.blogspot.com Jean Gatten
Say hi to your mom and dad
My grandpa had ALZ and he would forget everyone and everything...But, he never forgot that I was his grand daughter with the green eyes. =( I miss him.
Post a Comment