Monday, November 17, 2008

Blessing Tree

Tonight for FHE we talked about Thanksgiving- the whole Pilgrims and Indians schpeel. The kids were actually kind of interested and paying attention. I think it had something to do with the pilgrim/indian/mayflower/cornacopia stick puppets (that they fought over).

My ultimate goal was to talk about the things in our lives that we are grateful for. You know, "count your many blessings, name them one by one". Right. I wanted the kids to understand and be grateful for all that we have been blessed with. Which really, with the age group I am dealing with, it's comical. Comical, I say. I first tried to explain what blessings are. Then I pulled out this tree and a bunch of puffy foam leaves for us to write our blessings on.

They grasped the concept... sort of.

Taylor pretty much figures the correct answer to any FHE question is "and we love eachudder". So, pretty much that was his answer for the evening, with a few Wii games thrown in, and a lot of "n stuff" said after random thoughts and blessings.

Sara, on the other hand, was listing every toy she could think of and the color pink.

And Liv, well, she was just trying to confiscate all the leaves and steal my marker.

So maybe they didn't quite get it but hey, there's always next year. Or I guess I should say ALL year- since we should be grateful all the time, not just in November. That is something I will be pounding into the kids this year. We are blessed! We are grateful! We'll see how that goes.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Please tell me you didn't hand cut all those leaves!! Cute FHE prop. You should put a book together (I would buy it!)