A couple weeks ago UPS dropped off our new bed on the front porch in a bazillion boxes. We were quite perplexed as to how a king-sized bed could possibly fit into boxes of this size. We just sprinkled around a little pixie dust and wouldn't you know it, a king size bed popped out of all these boxes. Truly amazing.
Before I go any further, my main motivation for this post is to display our old bed. There isn't anything wrong with the bed itself- it's just that a few parts of its decor are worse for wear after nearly 8 years of marriage and it makes me laugh.
The bed skirt (given to me back in Cleveland by my friend Debbie who was about to toss it- I aim really high) started ripping. And you know how those things go- once they start, there is no stopping them- especially not me because I don't have a sewing machine OR the motivation to lift off the mattress to gain access to fixing the skirt. The last couple months it has looked rather pathetic and I've just figured "eh, nobody sees it but me". You can also see the orange and blue stickers on the bed frame from different moves we have made. The quilt is from our wedding- made with love by the Relief Society in my parent's ward. My kids took dry-erase marker to our sheets (also a wedding gift) a couple years back and it never came out. Usually we have 4 pillows on the bed and none of the pillowcases match. Oh, and the fitted sheet- didn't fit so well, always popping off. I just have to laugh. Mostly because it's gone now!
Here is the bed under construction (so I lied about the pixie dust...). I cheered Dave on and did my best to stop the kids from destroying all the foam parts before we could get the bed together.
And the finished product. Dave is looking rather fierce.
We have sheets for it but I have yet to get a bedding set- that's opening a can of worms because I have to decide on paint color for the room. And we need bedroom furniture which I have a feeling won't be happening any time soon. That's alright, I'm just happy to have a big fat bed.
And so is Dave.
A little too happy if you ask me.
I don't see anything wrong with me draping myself over him while he is trying to sleep. Sheesh. But now with eons of space between us- he feels liberated from me and my claustrophobic infringement of his personal sleeping space.
The other night Taylor slept on our bed. Taylor didn't touch me- I didn't touch him- nobody touched Dave. Three people on a bed and nobody kicked anybody in the face! It was amazing and made us feel that our purchase was well worth every penny.
7 comments:
ok, explain to me how a king sized bed can come in such small boxes! I thought at first that the boxes were a new head board, but you don't have a head board. I'm so confused. Cuz, really, I'm not buying the pixie dust thing.
I remember the night about 3 years ago when Thad sat up in bed at 2 a.m. after being squished by the 2 extra in our bed all night and yelled, "That's it! We are getting a king size bed!" So we did the next day. Still waiting for the furniture and bedding (well the more decorative stuff) but we've been loving the roomy bed. Once you have a king, the queen looks REALLY little!
That picture of Dave on the bed is hilarious! Okay, so there's hope for us to have a bigger bed by year 8 of marriage! We recently updgraded from a full to a queen. Every little bit helps - right?
LOL You know everytime I see the sleep number commercial I'll think of Dave and you. "My sleep number's 10, his is 50" =) King size beds suck. I can never find my leg stand aka Ryan.
Wow, love the bed.....the King size bed seriously saved my sanity, and I can't believe you held out for 8 years!!!
Second - what is the Livvy?? Seriously, no wonder her hair can't grow....its constantly being plastered!! Wow, that is so funny!!!
We have gone back and forth between a king and queen. Kings are GREAT when you have little kids in bed with you. But, I'm actually past that now, and in a queen, you are closer together.
By the way, I have really enjoyed reading your blog, which I found through Raylene's. It seems hard to believe your kids have grown so much, in size and number. I still picture you pregnant with Sara, pushing Taylor in a stroller as we walked the mall in Cheyenne:)
SO jealous! :) We want a King badly. We did get a memory foam mattress pad lately that we LOVE...since we couldn't afford a new bed yet. Way to go on the assembly too!
Post a Comment