Friday, March 20, 2009

St. Patty's Day

My kids have been on the edge of their seats the last few days anticipating"Leprechaun Day", as they call it. I've found that it really doesn't take much to impress kids. A little something here and a little something there and you have made their day magical. I love it!

The kids are always surprised to wake up to green milk in the fridge. I managed to turn breakfast green right under their very noses and then blamed it on those silly leprechauns who are just too hard to catch. I was happy to note that I could not turn the toilet water green, thanks to those bleach tablets I have been using in the toilet bowl. Yay for bleach and all its cleaning power!!! I know, I need therapy.

Taylor came home from schooling talking all about IRE-LAND. Two separate words. He was spewing all kinds of facts and information at me. Sara was reeling about the leprechauns who came into her preschool and made a big mess. And wouldn't you know it, they almost caught them. As for Liv, well, she didn't know what in the heck was going on but she had a great time running around after Taylor and Sara, riding the coat tails of all their magical leprechaun/treasure/rainbow/pot of gold talk.

A leprechaun dropped some of his gold coins as he was sneaking around our house. The kids had a fantastic time running around and finding them all. They managed to keep themselves entertained for quite some time re-hiding the coins and pretending Leprechauns were dropping more gold all over. You wouldn't believe the number of leprechaun sightings we had at our house...

Spencer even got in on the action as he was crawling about by finding himself a randomly displaced gold chocolate coin. Of course he had no idea what it was when he picked it up and started chewing on it but once he realized what he had, he held on for dear life and put up quite a fight when I tried to take it away.

If you don't recall the dinner fiasco of last year, let me remind you about it right here. Yep. Good times. This year I was totally game for a re-try. I decided to mix things up a bit and bake the corned beef, rather than boil it. And just in case you are wondering, I avoided any and all glass dishes... Everything turned out great. Taylor is a big fan of corned beef. He loved it! Me and Dave- just eh. In fact, I don't know if I will make corned beef next year. I may have to explore other options.

I did make these little pots of gold out of limes and yellow jello. My initial reaction once I started making them was "lame" but turns out the kids (especially Livvy) loved them! The lemons were tiny (which was why I originally thought the idea was lame- don't know why I didn't realize that before I started making them) and we had to keep refilling them with jello.

As you know, Livvy is pretty much on her own agenda. Everyone is supposed to come to the dinner table dressed. Obviously in the mayhem of getting a festive dinner on the table, that one little detail got overlooked.





My favorite part of the whole day- I had set the table and was getting dinner and everything together. I overheard Dave say to the kids, "Get away from the table. Mommy still has to take pictures." Seriously? Now that is true love.

2 comments:

Pace's said...

You are so awesome. My kids don't even have the slightest idea of what St. Patty's day is. All they know is that I made them wear green. I need to steal your ideas for next year.

M&A said...

You're so festive! Your kids aren't the only ones who have spotted leprechauns...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nda_OSWeyn8